Re: FireWire subsystem in development

Srdjan Sobajic (sobajic@qua.crl.melco.co.jp)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:28:29 +0900

> On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Andreas Bombe wrote:
>
> > Things that don't even exist yet are any interface to user space and a
> > real bus manager implementation.

Yes, I've been doing the same thing as Andreas recently,
however I started with Emanuel Pirker's base for what I've
done. Now I can get the drivers to work with 2.3.*, and I
can access my Sony DCR-TRV7 (maybe this is a Japan-only model?)
video camera, at least for starting and stopping the camera.
However, I've been trying to see how to get the isochronous
mode stuff to work, and haven't had any luck yet. This seems
like it will also be an issue with USB.

Any suggestions on the isochronous stuff implementation would
be appreciated.

> It seems to me that FireWire and USB both have the same configuration
> issues to resolve, so sharing the higher level configuration between them
> may be a cunning plan ...

I'm not sure what you meant by configuration issues, but a problem
I see with that is that if we start supporting the 1394 hard drives
then if someone changes the bus configuration the device names (if
they are all hard-coded as with SCSI/IDE) would possibly change. (which
doesn't seem like a good thing.) I am not totally clear as to whether in
the USB system this is also a problem-- ie. if I change my bus
configuration,
will the device I have assigned to, say, my mouse change also? (For
example,
say the device attached directly to the Root Hub is usb0, which is
initially my
mouse, but then I attach an external hub to the Root Hub, and the mouse
to my
external hub, so that the external hub becomes usb0, and the mouse usb1.
How
will this kind of issue get resolved with USB?)

I agree that these issues (and others probably) should be worked out in
conjunction
with the USB development...

Anyways, Andreas, if you're interested in working together on the 1394
stuff,
let me know by private mail- (I have an Adaptec 8945 card, so I can do
the Adaptec
stuff...)

Srdjan