Re: Question: Gateway address == 0

From: kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 12:50:09 EST

Hello!

> OK. Then Linux needs fixing: The message which started this thread (sorry,
> I haven't got it handy) claimed that one could configure a interface with
> host 0. I just did so (linux-2.2.15pre17 on i686):

You may configure interface with any address from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255.
(Though ifconfig is not able to understand some classes, ip addr is able)

Once you did it, the configured address becomes local and
RFC restrictions are derived from it, provided you do not override
them changing routing tables directly.

Ideally, RFC are _programmed_. Only self-consistency requirements
limit us here.

Alexey