Re: [Swsusp-devel] Re: swsusp problems [was Re: Your opinion on the merge?]

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 05:28:03 EST

On Út 23-03-04 23:52:58, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 March 2004 06:32 pm, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Well, I'd hate
> >
> > Nov 10 00:37:51 amd kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 842340
> > Nov 10 00:37:53 amd kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 6738472
> >
> > to be obscured by progress bar.
>
> OK, so you have an error condition on your CD. Does it prevent suspend from
> completing? If not then I probably would not care about it till later when
> I see it in syslog... I remember that the one thing that Pat
> complained

Except when it is not in syslog, because it was after atomic copy or
before atomic copy back. swsusp is pretty unique in this respect.

> most often is your love for "panic"ing instead of trying to recover. In that
> case you understandably want as many preceding messages as possible left
> intact on the screen to diagnose the problem. If error recovery is ever done
> then some eye-candy probably won't hurt.

Except when error recovery does not work.

> Also, if we leave swsusp and suspending alone for a second, I could have
> 'top' running on console overwriting the very same messages. Should we ban
> top?

Its bad idea to run top when kernel messages are not redirected
somewhere. Unfortunately eye-candy makes that choice for you, and does
the wrong thing automatically.
Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]