Re: ATA 4 KiB sector issues.

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Wed Mar 17 2010 - 11:07:57 EST

On 03/16/2010 06:21 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
The only reason I see to care about CHS at all is that there are systems in the field which can only boot from USB in CHS mode, and which often look at the MBR partition table to guess the geometry. Of course, some then *report* the detected geometry but don't *use* the detected geometry...

These systems, given the changes in modern microsoft releases, must be doomed even without any effort on our part.

I still think that we should work to make this ancient stuff disappear & help force the legacy edge cases to modernize. It has been some huge amount of time since storage vendors pretty much abandoned CHS (15 years? 20?) :-)

ric