Re: kcore and memory questions

Mon, 29 Jul 1996 19:07:17 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, Sheldon E. Newhouse wrote:

> I have two questions for you Linux experts:
>
> 1. What is the maximum amount of RAM that Linux supports in the various
> architectures? Where is this information defined/stored?

As much as the box will hold, or proberbly some very big number mesured
in terabytes (for more that 64Mb you have to tell the kernel with the
mem=xM command line option).

> 2. I am running Linux version 2.0.8 (root@elsie) (gcc version 2.7.2) #4
> Tue Jul 23 14:04:23 EDT 1996
>
> Note the output of ls -l /proc | grep kcore
>
> [root@pokie /proc]# ls -l /proc | grep kcore
> -r-------- 1 root root 100667392 Jul 28 20:37 kcore
>
> Wow! Is that 100 MB file for real? What is it for?

It's 96Mb, it's all the memory in your box ;). /proc is a virtual
filesystem, and is really only a window on the kernel (well more like a
door, some of the files can be written to, and change variables). If you
loog around you have a directory in there for each process, and several
others. One example, writting a number in /proc/sys/kernel/panic causes
the kernel to wait that many seconds before rebooting after a panic
(0=forever).

> Thanks for the info.
>
> -sen

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.