Re: Drive error

Garst R. Reese (linux@falken.detour.net)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:13:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Mark Shapiro wrote:

> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=1988685, sector=17036
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03, sector 17036
>
> Is this a problem with the hard drive or the controller? Should I replace the
> bad copmonent, or is it fixable? It looks like a hardware error rather than a
> filesystem error, sooo....
i got those alot with my brand new Quantum Fireball ST.
im glad i got those AFTER i moved my /home dir to it :P..

but, they appear to be Hard drive errors..

badblocks -w core dumped after about an hour, so i decided to use DOS

about 700 megs of bad sectors.. out of 4.3 gigs.. ouch

gonna call quantum monday..