Re: Drive error

George Bonser (grep@oriole.sbay.org)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 21:47:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Mark Shapiro wrote:

> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=1988685, sector=17036
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03, sector 17036
>
> Is this a problem with the hard drive or the controller? Should I replace the
> bad copmonent, or is it fixable? It looks like a hardware error rather than a
> filesystem error, sooo....
>
> thanks.

Mark,

I am seeing a ton of these as soon as I installed a large EIDE/DMA33 drive
in a system that is running 2.0.33

In my case it is a Maxtor. Some checking showed one entire track showed
up as unreadable. Actually the error was a seek error. Since it was near
the end of the drive, I stopped the partition a bit short of the end. I
have STILL been getting error on this and the other drive on the same
controller. That other drive ran for 6 months on 2.0.29 without trouble.
The disk problems started as soon as I installed the DMA33 capable drive
into the box and went to 2.0.33. I am now going beck to 2.0.32 because of
other stability issues on that machine (have not got it to stay running
more than two weeks). The disk error on the Maxtor was really odd. As if
servo information was not recorded properly on the platter and the servo
could simply not seek to that position on the disk.

In my experiance intermittant problems are caused by four things:

Power Supply
Heat
2.0.33
Parts from Fry's Electronics

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org