Re: More no-console weirdness: /etc/mtab is corrupted

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:32:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Steve Snyder wrote:
> Here's some more config-without-console wierdness.
>
> But first, here's some background: I switch frequently between a 2.1.111
> kernel built with support for the VGA console and one built without that
> support. Enabling/disabling the console support is the *only* difference
> between the 2 builds. I define "no-console weirdness" as any misbehavior
> seen in the no-console kernel, but not in the kernel in which the VGA
> console is supported. FYI, my system is RedHat v5.1 running on a Pentium
> box.
>
> Here is the current problem: without a console, /etc/mtab is filled with
> boot-time status messages. Specifically:

What does /dev/console look like? Character device 5, 1?

> Finding module dependencies... done
> Starting kerneld, version 2.1.85 (pid 28)
^^^^^^^
Kerneld should not be used in a 2.1.111 kernel.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be