Newbie please help. I need a Boot-floopy with new AIC7xxxx (ahc) driver for Linux Slackware 3.5 on I

Ben Lavender (ben.lavender@cygnet.co.uk)
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 20:54:49 +0100

Please could some kind person who is running Linux Slackware 3.5 on Intel.
Build me a new boot floppy with the new AIC7xxxx driver. This is available
from:
ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/testing/

the latest version being: aic7xxx-5.1.0-pre5-2.1.109.patch.gz

I've got a new Dell server with a built in AIC7890 SCSI for the harddisk and
Slackware won't detect it. I'm new to Linux and I'm really stuck. I'd be
eternally
grateful if you or someone you know could help.

Thanks alot

Ben ben.lavender@cygnet.co.uk :)

-----Original Message-----
From: mea@nic.funet.fi <mea@nic.funet.fi>
To: Ben Lavender <ben.lavender@cygnet.co.uk>
Cc: aic7xxx@FreeBSD.org <aic7xxx@FreeBSD.org>; ken@plutotech.com
<ken@plutotech.com>; linux-adm@nic.funet.fi <linux-adm@nic.funet.fi>
Date: 02 August 1998 16:28
Subject: Re: Adaptec AIC7890 - AIC7xxxx (ahc) driver for Linux Slackware 3.5

> Please can you you tell me where I can get hold of a driver for an Adaptec
> AIC7890 SCSI on Linux Slackware 3.5.
> There seems to be a version at:
> ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/testing/ but I don't have access
> a C compiler because I need the driver to install the O/S.

So, what you are asking for is a new boot floppy which can
boot with your current hardware ?

You could ask linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu -list for the help.
(For somebody who has Slackware 3.5 running, and knows how to
make a boot-floppy for it.)

> I'm trying to install Slackware 3.5 on a new Dell PowerEdge Server 2300.
It
> has an on-board AIC-7890 (for the hard-disk) and AIC-7860 (for the CD-Rom)
> on booting Slackware using the aha2x4x.s image. It detects the AIC-7860
and
> the CD-ROM but can't detect the
> AIC-7890 and harddisk. The harddisk is on SCSI No. # 0. It's a Seagate
> ST34572wC Ultra2-SE
>
> The errors I get are in the attached file (errors.txt)
>
> Please help - I'd be very greatful if you could.
> Thanks
>
> Ben ( ben.lavender@cygnet.co.uk )

Sorry I can't help. Even though I have that lattest AIC driver
in use, my system is Alpha...

Living with bleeding edge hardware is something which you should
not do, unless you have also a support machine with which you
can bootstrap your main system.

You could ask your vendor for borrowing an IDE or narrow-SCSI
disk which works with the recognized hardware so you can boostrap
your system.

/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>