Questions about developing a BIOS flash util under linux

From: Thomas S. Iversen (zensonic@diku.dk)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 02:46:46 EST

Hi

I'm in the progress of porting uniflash 1.17b from PASCALto C (and
hopefully, eventually to linux),

If you don't know uniflash, I can tell you that it's a freeware flash-util
made in PASCAL by Pascal van Leeuwen and Galkowski, see:

  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pvanleeuwen/ufhome.htm

Well, now to the things that I stumbled accros:

- All flashers I have used, has required the user not to run in
   protected mode. Is there any reasons for this. Or put in another
   way: Is it possible to flash the bios from an protected mode
   environment (eg. linux)?

- Uniflash gives the user the possibility of backing up the CMOS
   ram before flashing, and then restoring it afterwards. Seeing various
   sourcefiles in linux tells me that it would be a problem (due to time.c
   writting to CMOS every 11. minute). Is there any way to get around
   this?

Anything else you think might be relevant would be really nice to hear
about.

Yours

Thomas S. Iversen
zensonic@diku.dk
Dept. of computer science - copenhagen, denmark.