Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 20:42:46 EST

On Tue, 23 Nov 2005, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > No trivial fix was apparent - perhaps we should disable the compat wrappers
> > if CONFIG_EXT3=n and/or CONFIG_JBD=n.
>
> That's already done for a lot of other wrappers, so would be fine too

That may be the right thing, but looking at compat-ioctl.c I don't see
anything that really depends on ext3, it just wants to have the data
structure definitions in _case_ ext3 migth be enabled. Or did I miss
anything?

In general, I don't like code that depends on a module having been marked
as a module. What if you compile the kernel and then decide later that you
need the jbd/ext3 modules, so you compile and install those on an already
running kernel?

So almost all "#ifdef CONFIG_xyzzy_MODULE" usages tend to be fundamentally
buggy: they expect all modules to come pre-configured, which may be ok for
a distro kernel, but it's a bit against the whole point of being a module,
isn't it?

Linus