Re: [linux-pm] [RFC] userland swsusp

From: Lorenzo Colitti
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 05:16:38 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Yes, hopefully users will not notice.

? So the idea is to merge inferior code and "hope users won't notice"?

Users might not notice that half their memory is gone, but they *will* notice that their system is dog slow when it resumes because all their caches are gone and a most of their stuff is swapped out.

Non-responsive system on resume is one of the main reasons that swsusp2 is much better than swsusp1, and yes, users *do* notice (I was one of them, as I pointed out a while back). Yes, 50% is better than nothing, but it's still a pretty poor show.

Seen from the perspective of a user, the situation is simple: suspend2 works, it's fast, and it's rock-solid. Just use it.

Regards,
Lorenzo

P.S. Don't "show me the code" me. I can't write the code. :-) But based on what I see of how well suspend2 works, I think Nigel can...