Re: FRV-setup: Clarification for "source code clean-up"?

From: Dan Carpenter
Date: Fri Oct 21 2016 - 05:27:55 EST

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:11:54AM +0200, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
> > It's all about ratios... Each clean up patch has chance of introducing
> > a bug.
>
> Each update suggestion contains a possibility for mistakes.

Yes. But bug fix patches make up for it by fixing stuff.

> > If you only send clean up patches then you only introduce bugs.
>
> I find such a conclusion questionable with the wording "only".

How are you going to fix bugs if you only send clean ups?

> > We really don't want people sending patches if they introduce more bugs
> > than they fix.
>
> How do you think about to discuss corresponding software development
> statistics in more detail?

I think normal developers should fix 10 bugs or add a few features for
every regression they introduce. I introduced a regression just last
week, so that's a normal part of life, but I was at least *trying* to
fix a bug when I did it.

regards,
dan carpenter