Re: get_maintainers.pl subsystem output

From: Joe Perches
Date: Fri Jul 19 2019 - 10:31:32 EST

On Fri, 2019-07-19 at 09:54 +0000, Duda, Sebastian wrote:
> On 2019-07-19 08:50, Joe Perches wrote:

> > > My Questions are:
> > > 1. How can I make get_maintainer's output to be more table-like?
> >
> > I suggest adding --nogit --nogit-fallback --roles --norolestats
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't change the output:
> $ scripts/get_maintainer.pl --subsystem --status --separator ,
> drivers/media/i2c/adv748x/
> Kieran Bingham <kieran.bingham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (maintainer:ANALOG
> DEVICES INC ADV748X DRIVER),Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx>
> (maintainer:MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE
> (V4L/DVB)),linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (open list:ANALOG DEVICES INC
> ADV748X DRIVER),linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (open list)
> Maintained,Buried alive in reporters
> ANALOG DEVICES INC ADV748X DRIVER,MEDIA INPUT INFRASTRUCTURE
> (V4L/DVB),THE REST

It does change the output for files that do not
have a specific maintainer.

> > > 2. How can I make get_maintainer.pl to separate each file's output?
> >
> > Run the script with multiple invocations. once for each file
> > modified by the patch.
>
> This is the way I'm doing it right now but this is very slow. I thought
> calling the script only once for many files could speed up the analysis.

get_maintainer is effectively single threaded.

Averaging 10 runs:

A single file run time is ~0.135 seconds on my system.
An invocation with two files on the command line has
a run time of ~0.195 seconds.

Using something like gnu parallel would allow multiple
instances to run simulateously and would significantly
reduce overall wall-clock runtime on most systems.

https://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/