Re: [GIT PULL] sound updates for 5.16-rc1

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Nov 17 2021 - 13:02:52 EST

On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 18:48:26 +0100,
Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 05:24:28PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 17:18:55 +0100,
> > Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:

> > > This commit breaks audio playback for me. The sample plays for fraction of
> > > a second than stops.
> > >
> > > I use SMSL SA300. Let me know what ifo is needed to track it down.
> > >
> > > Also I can test potential fixups if needed.
> >
> > Could you give alsa-info.sh output with the device? Run the script
> > with --no-upload option, and attach the output.
>
> Attached. I run it on kernel without the commit. I hope it is fine.
>
> One note: I use monolitic kernel without CONFIG_MODULES. The script
> complained about missing /proc/asound/modules and other modules related
> stuff.

It's a known problem I forgot, but this doesn't matter much.

> > Also /proc/asound/card*/stream* file for that usb device, too,
> > please.
>
> Attached.

Thanks!

> > And, which environment are you testing, more exactly? Which platform,
> > and with PulseAudio, pipewire, JACK, or direct ALSA device use?
>
> Nothing fancy. Direct ALSA. I tested with 'speaker-test -c2 -t wav' during
> bisect.

Did you notice the problem with other applications, too?

When you wrote "The sample plays for fraction of a second than
stops.", it means that the speaker-test program stalls? Or it's
shorter playbacks?

Also, please test booting with snd_usb_audio.lowlatency=0 boot
option. Does it behave like before again?

> > For checking the behavior, we'd need to check hw_params in
> > /proc/asound/card*/pcm*/sub*/* for the corresponding device during
> > playback/capture operations.
>
> You need this to be collected when the problem triggers, right?
> I will follow up with this.

I'll need to test my device at first. Maybe tomorrow.

thanks,

Takashi