Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux v2.39

From: Christian Brauner
Date: Thu May 18 2023 - 10:01:17 EST

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:23:16PM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 03:48:54PM +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> > This is a very exciting release! There's good reason for us to be happy
> > imho. This is the first release of util-linux with comprehensive support
> > for the new mount api which is very exciting.
>
> We will see how many things in libmount and kernel are not ready ;-)

Yeah, I think we will indeed...
So, I think we need to port overlayfs to the new mount api because of
https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/issues/1992#issuecomment-1486475153

> > A part of that is of course the support for idmapped mounts and the
> > ability to recursively change mount properties, i.e., idempotently
> > change the mount properties of a whole mount tree.
> >
> > It's also great to see support for disk sequence numbers via the
> > BLKGETDISKSEQ ioctl and the port to util-linux to rely on
>
> BLKGETDISKSEQ is supported in the blockdev command only.
>
> Lennart has also idea to support it in libmount to verify devices
> before the filesystem is attached to VFS.
>
> https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/issues/1786
>
> That's something we can work on in the next release.

Yeah, I remember discussing that. Though that doesn't eliminate all
races as we discussed on the thread and I plan to implement what I said in
https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/issues/1786#issuecomment-1410515391
rather soon and talked about at LSFMM last week.

> > statx(AT_STATX_DONT_SYNC|AT_NO_AUTOMOUNT) to avoid tripping over
> > automounts or hung network filesystems as we just recently discussed
> > this!
> >
> > Thanks for working on this and hopefully we can add the missing pieces
> > of the new mount api in the coming months!
>
> I would like to make the v2.40 development cycle shorter. The v2.39
> cycle was excessively long and large.

Yeah, but that was kinda expected given the switch to the new mount api.
I mean, after I did the initial support to get idmapped mounts working
in there you still had to port all the rest of libmount...