Re: kobject_init_and_add() confusion

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Wed May 01 2019 - 03:56:03 EST

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 1:38 AM Tobin C. Harding <me@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looks like I've created a bit of confusion trying to fix memleaks in
> calls to kobject_init_and_add(). Its spread over various patches and
> mailing lists so I'm starting a new thread and CC'ing anyone that
> commented on one of those patches.
>
> If there is a better way to go about this discussion please do tell me.
>
> The problem
> -----------
>
> Calls to kobject_init_and_add() are leaking memory throughout the kernel
> because of how the error paths are handled.
>
> The solution
> ------------
>
> Write the error path code correctly.
>
> Example
> -------
>
> We have samples/kobject/kobject-example.c but it uses
> kobject_create_and_add(). I thought of adding another example file here
> but could not think of how to do it off the top of my head without being
> super contrived. Can add this to the TODO list if it will help.
>
> Here is an attempted canonical usage of kobject_init_and_add() typical
> of the code that currently is getting it wrong. This is the second time
> I've written this and the first time it was wrong even after review (you
> know who you are, you are definitely buying the next round of drinks :)
>

> Assumes we have an object in memory already that has the kobject
> embedded in it. Variable 'kobj' below would typically be &ptr->kobj
>

> void fn(void)
> {
> int ret;
>
> ret = kobject_init_and_add(kobj, ktype, NULL, "foo");
> if (ret) {
> /*
> * This means kobject_init() has succeeded
> * but kobject_add() failed.
> */
> goto err_put;
> }
>
> ret = some_init_fn();
> if (ret) {
> /*
> * We need to wind back kobject_add() AND kobject_put().

kobject_add() and kobject_init() I suppose?

> * kobject_add() incremented the refcount in
> * kobj->parent, that needs to be decremented THEN we need
> * the call to kobject_put() to decrement the refcount of kobj.
> */

So actually, if you look at kobject_cleanup(), it calls kobject_del()
if kobj->state_in_sysfs is set.

Now, if you look at kobject_add_internal(), it sets
kobj->state_in_sysfs when about to return 0 (success).

Therefore calling kobject_put() without the preceding kobject_del() is
not a bug technically, even though it will trigger the "auto cleanup
kobject_del" message with debug enabled.

> goto err_del;
> }
>
> ret = some_other_init_fn();
> if (ret)
> goto other_err;
>
> kobject_uevent(kobj, KOBJ_ADD);
> return 0;
>
> other_err:
> other_clean_up_fn();
> err_del:
> kobject_del(kobj);
> err_put:
> kobject_put(kobj);
>
> return ret;
> }
>

> Have I got this correct?
>
> TODO
> ----
>
> - Fix all the callsites to kobject_init_and_add()
> - Further clarify the function docstring for kobject_init_and_add() [perhaps]
> - Add a section to Documentation/kobject.txt [optional]
> - Add a sample usage file under samples/kobject [optional]

The plan sounds good to me, but there is one thing to note IMO:
kobject_cleanup() invokes the ->release() callback for the ktype, so
these callbacks need to be able to cope with kobjects after a failing
kobject_add() which may not be entirely obvious to developers
introducing them ATM.

Thanks,
Rafael