Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm tree

From: Arjun Roy
Date: Mon Feb 17 2020 - 01:45:56 EST

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 8:12 PM Arjun Roy <arjunroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 7:57 PM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After merging the akpm tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> > failed like this:
> >
> > mm/memory.c: In function 'insert_pages':
> > mm/memory.c:1523:56: error: macro "pte_index" requires 2 arguments, but only 1 given
> > remaining_pages_total, PTRS_PER_PTE - pte_index(addr));
> > ^
> >
> > Caused by commit
> >
> > 366142f0b000 ("mm/memory.c: add vm_insert_pages()")
> >
> > This is the first use of pte_index() outside arch specific code and the
> > sparc64 version of pte_index() nas an extra argument.
> >

> Looks like this happens for sparc, and also metag. Other platforms
> just take the addr parameter based on a quick search.

And actually I guess there's no metag anyways now.
Looking further, then, it looks like in every non-sparc pte_index() is
an actual numerical index, while on sparc it goes a step further to
yield a pte_t *.
As far as I can tell, the sparc incarnation of this is only used by
the pte_offset_(kernel/map) macros.

So I think a possibly sane way to fix this would be:
1. Define pte_index() to be a numerical index, like the other architectures,
2. Define something like pte_entry() that uses pte_index(), and
3. Have pte_offset_(kernel/map) be defined as pte_entry() instead.

Then pte_index would be operating on just an address for all
platforms, and the reverted patchset would work without any changes.

If this sounds acceptable, I can send a patch.

Thanks!